Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lasik - Last visit!

I had my last Lasik follow-up visit on October 2 (5.5 months post-op). Everything looks great. At the last visit (a month or two ago) I had a bit of astigmatism in my left eye, but that appears to have cleared itself up. Now I'm 20/20 in my left (dominant) eye and 20/40 in my right eye, which is exactly what they were aiming for with the monovision.

I have ZERO regrets about the surgery -- I'm incredibly glad that I had it done. I can see in times and places I never thought about not being able to see before -- when I look at the clock in the middle of the night, when I first wake up in the morning, in the shower, swimming, when my eyes are tired and dry. *Always*. It's more freeing than I even imagined it would be.

The only negative side effect that I notice is slightly more haloing at night -- but to be honest, I'm really not sure if that's because I have more haloing or because I notice it more. Also, with the 20/40 right eye, there definitely *is* more blurring and haloing, especially at night. It's not debilitating, but I'd feel safer if I had less blurring. So the optometrist at LasikPlus gave me a brochure for "Spare Specs," and I'm ordering a pair of glasses for night driving (clear glass on the left eye, small correction to bring my right eye to 20/20, $24.95 plus S&H). I imagine that eventually my presbyopia will worsen and I'll still need reading glasses, but that would have happened if I *hadn't* had the Lasik too.

I highly recommend looking into Lasik and considering monovision if you are middle-aged and starting to experience presbyopia. Of course, YMMV, but I can say that I'm totally satisfied with the outcome.

No comments: