Monday, April 22, 2024

2024 ACPT Recap

Anther year, another tournament! This year was my 15th ACPT, if you can believe it! (It would have been 17 but I missed two years because of conflicts with my kids' events.)

ACPT was a great way to spend a weekend, as always. Hotel rooms weren't available yet when I registered (as soon as registration opened) and then were completely sold out when I went back to look (a few weeks later, maybe?), so I stayed at an airbnb about a 10-minute walk away. That was fine, but I didn't feel quite as social this year as I sometimes do, and the airbnb exacerbated that, plus I caught COVID last year when I socialized more, so I kind of kept to myself. But I still had a nice time (and needed a little quite time after a period with a lot of travel & intensive family time).

It was wonderful to see Will Shortz (who experienced a stroke a few months ago) at the tournament -- he was very present throughout the weekend, though he left most of the emcee'ing to my old friend (and crossword constructor/competitor) Pete Muller.

Friday night games were enjoyable, and even though I didn't win any prizes, I finished 5 of the 6 "variety puzzles" within the time limit, including a very hard cryptic that I was quite proud of!

tl;dr I came in 31st overall, #3 in New England, #6 of solvers in their 50s, 5th highest female solver. And that's out of the largest field ever (739 registered solvers), so it put me in the top 4% of solvers. But I could have been 18th... oh well!

But I am still disappointed in myself, because I had a very avoidable mistake on P5 (didn't check a crossing answer). If not for that mistake, I would have been 18th overall (! - that would have been my 2nd-highest finish ever and highest percentile-wise because this year's field was so large), still #3 in New England, #1 of solvers in their 50s (four minutes ahead of the solver who did win that age group), and the 3rd highest female solver.

That's the third year in a row that I made a mistake -- I'm so annoyed!! I had quite a few years of a "clean solve" streak and I am not happy to now have what is clearly an "unclean solve" streak (at every in-person post-COVID tournament...)

On the plus side, my speed doesn't seem to be fading at all, even though I am pushing 60. (I will be 60 by next year's tournament -- in that category, I would have been 2nd this year without the mistake...)

Here's the blow-by-blow, together with my usual "if I hadn't screwed up..." commentary.

  • P1 - under 4-minute solve, but I again missed the 3-minute cutoff by just a few seconds. 22 people solved this faster than I did, and nobody solved it in under 3 minutes, so I would have been tied for 1st if I had solved this puzzle 5 seconds faster (and not re-checked it, which would have been risky but OK as it turned out).
  • P2 - 7 minutes. At this point, I was tied for 23rd. 25 people were faster than me on this puzzle.
  • P3 - 9 minutes, and I felt a little slow / bogged down -- not quite sure what happened with this puzzle. But still only 24 people were faster, and at this point, I was in a 3-way tie for 27th place.
  • P4 - 5 minutes, very very fast (only 8 people were faster) -- this puzzle bumped me all the way up to 18th place.
  • P5 - 10 minutes. I actually felt like it took me a little longer than it should have to catch onto the gimmick, but as it turned out, only 16 people were faster than me. I would have moved up a few spots -- but as I mentioned before, I made a stupid, avoidable mistake. And as you may know, one letter wrong means losing 195 points (almost 8 minutes' worth of time). So now I was in 33rd place. Still pretty damn good for someone with a mistake, but not where I wish I was!
  • P6 - 7 minutes, behind just 13 solvers.
  • P7 - 10 minutes. Not super-fast, but decent. 28 people were faster than me. 

The fun possibility for the future is that maybe one or both of my daughters will hopefully join me at ACPT one of these years! Heather is currently #4 in the Boswords Spring League (Smooth division), and Caroline will be #3 or #4 when she catches up (she hasn't solved the next-to-last puzzle yet) -- one puzzle to go!

No comments: